Sunday, March 16, 2014

In Pictures

In what I hope will become the first of many installations, this week’s post aims to better capture the essence of space through photographs, enhancing the portrayal of Shanghai for readers through images (in case I wasn’t sufficiently doing that through previous posts, better safe than sorry). I’ve begun with this first set of photos by capturing a few local spots, in and around the Fudan campus, my dormitory, and the adjoining streets. And I threw on a few parting shots of the city skyline to ground this post in the city at large.

It was a beautiful day today. Spring is nearly here. I’ve written this short intro from a rigid chair out on my balcony. It’s too high up to hear the hum drum of street-level noises, conversations, bicycle bells, and the like, but two things pierce through that clutter and echo up clearly to me on the 20th floor: car horns and birds. As you may have heard, car horn blasting is ritual, done regardless of necessity, but done so frequently that I sort of tune it out. The birds’ singing however is relatively new, presumably coinciding with the arrival of warmer air. And it’s a welcome sign, reminding me that I was in fact pooped on by a bird last week (and not something else, as I sort of feared), and that they seem relatively undeterred by the smog, which I’ll say it again, isn’t so bad here.

The following are mostly pictures of today’s wanderings. Enjoy!


Bicycles outside the entrance of the foreign student's dormitory, my building
Chinese pudgster with his Popsicle overlooking the coy pond by the student canteen
Fudan's sidewalks are strewn with propaganda style banners, but not always from propaganda style purposes
Chinese mailbox, trashcan, and phone booth, a functional street corner
Side entrance to the student canteen on campus, late night hours posted above the entryway
Inside this dilapidated complex is an excellent Japanese sake bar
Hippie bus, Seoul to Shanghai, now housing a Korean barbeque dining area
Local shops within the campus
My favorite convenience store, good for cheap coffee (believe it or not) and baozi, breakfast dumplings
Side entrance to an administrative building on campus
The oldest building on campus, built in 1927
Student cyclists
Mao, welcoming visitors by Fudan's main gate
Students enjoying the Sunday sunshine in front of the Guanghua building on campus
Kids behind the campus guards
An apartment block above a supermarket outside the campus gates
Good for sandwiches and pizza, caters to the foreign student crowd
Korean BBQ joint on University Ave
Local fruit market outside campus
Typical shops on a side street by the campus
Not an attractive photo, the magnetic tracks used to shoot the Maglev train to and from Pudong Int. Airport
A banquet style dinner, with friends at a Henan restaurant for a friend's birthday
An interesting duo within the mall by my workplace
A clear shot of the Pudong skyline at dusk
The same shot, panorama style

No comments:

Post a Comment